A collection of poems and other writings...

Friday 2 February 2018

Dead Pigeon

Walking home the other day I came upon a dead pigeon in the street.  The way it lay and the colour of the carcass led me to imagine that rather than being crushed into the pavement it was actually emerging out of it...

I snapped a photo of it and my talented friend Adry Ruiz (@xxxadryxxx) translated it into a pencil drawing to accompany this poem

From the ash of the asphalt I am born
fledged from flagstone streets
I will dance for you through broken air
for you will I thrill in flight

I am the chill of the wild in the town
I am a child in the still of the sky
settle my soul in the spirit world
fashion me feathers and fly

as a shaman's cape will I shelter you
although I am crushed and torn
for though my entrails grace the ground
no harm to me now can come

I'll dance once more through the greasy air
dance once more by the bridge
dance once more on the frosty street
where you creatures of the city live

come, dance with me as the day begins
dance with me as it ends
feed me scraps from the morsels bag
feed me love from your lips

I have the courage of an iron bear
the grace of a violin
I have the strut of an ancient mare
that drinks by the river's brim

for though I am crushed and split apart
though I am shattered and crazed
I live with you in the city's heart
wherever a city is raised

No comments:

Post a Comment